City of Edmonton to begin installing underground utilities at Blatchford site

Posted December 24th, 2018 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on City of Edmonton to begin installing underground utilities at Blatchford site

It’s not yet known how the future Blatchford neighbourhood will look and feel, but the City of Edmonton will soon begin prepping the site for the essentials you won’t see: underground utilities.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Edmonton city council votes to scale down Blatchford redevelopment

    History of Edmonton’s Blatchford Field

  • Redevelopment moving forward at Edmonton’s former City Centre Airport

  • Day of mixed emotions as Edmonton’s City Centre Airport closes for good

    Earlier this year city council decided to put the redevelopment project on hold in order for the city to assess green energy options and funding, as well as give the city time to lobby the provincial and federal governments for funding for the highly anticipated carbon-neutral community at the site of the old City Centre Airport.

    READ MORE: Edmonton city council hits pause on Blatchford residential development

    “Much about the Blatchford vision is ambitious, but perhaps the most ambitious element is the community’s energy goals. While City Council takes the time to complete its review of the options, we are glad to be able to continue work preparing the site,” Blatchford Redevelopment executive director Mark Hall said Friday in a news release.

    A look at the site of Edmonton’s old City Centre Airport.

    CREDIT: City of Edmonton

    Starting July 11, the city will begin to install parts of the storm and sanitary service connections in preparation for the first stage of development. The underground utility work is expected to take about five months.

    “This is a shovel ready project, and starting to construct portions of the underground utilities means we are prepared to move quickly on the first stage of development once a renewable energy system is approved,” Hall stated.

    The construction work starting this month includes inlets and outlets for the first of the two stormwater ponds, a storm sewer line to drain the stormwater pond, and sanitary sewer line to eventually link Stage 1 to existing sewer lines outside of the Blatchford site.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    Blatchford Redevelopment images.

    The Blatchford development is expected to house some 30,000 people once it is completed.

    In addition to utility work, other work is happening on the site of the former municipal airport. Old runway material is being crushed to be used for future road construction, and old buildings are being taken apart. The materials will be sorted to see what can be recycled and reused.

     READ MORE: Blatchford development recycling old airport hangars, runways

    The city said the next phase of environmental remediation work is also underway.

    The original vision for Blatchford aimed for the neighbourhood to be carbon neutral and use 100 per cent renewable energy. A report on the development of the renewable energy utilities to help achieve that goal is due back to city council later this year.

    With files from Phil Heidenreich, Global News

Tim Bosma’s convicted killers file notice of appeal with Ontario’s top court

Posted December 24th, 2018 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on Tim Bosma’s convicted killers file notice of appeal with Ontario’s top court

TORONTO —; Two men found guilty of murder in the death of Tim Bosma are appealing their convictions.

Dellen Millard and Mark Smich, who were convicted last month of first-degree murder in the brutal killing of the Hamilton man, have both filed notices of appeal with Ontario’s top court.

“My trial was unfair,” Smich, 28, of Oakville, Ont., wrote in his inmate appeal that was filed with the Court of Appeal late last month.

ChangSha Night Net

“The trial judge made errors in his charge to the jury and other rulings,” his handwritten appeal stated.

READ MORE: Dellen Millard to appeal murder conviction in death of Tim Bosma: lawyer

Millard, 30, of Toronto, pointed out more than a dozen issues with the trial, among them that the judge should have excluded evidence found on his farm and in various electronic devices because it breached his charter rights.

Bosma vanished three years ago after taking two strangers for a test drive in a truck he was trying to sell online.

Millard also said in a two-page typed appendix to his appeal notice that the judge erred by allowing texts into evidence about the acquisition of a Walther PPK gun, which the Crown alleged was used to kill Bosma on May 6, 2013.

Tim Bosma is seen in this undated family photo.

Handout / Family Photo

Millard’s lawyer, Ravin Pillay, told the jury in his closing address that Smich pulled a gun in Bosma’s truck and accidentally killed the Hamilton man.

Justice Andrew Goodman subsequently told the jury to disregard that theory because there was no basis in evidence for it, which is another issue for Millard in his notice of appeal.

Smich testified it was Millard who shot Bosma with that gun and then burned Bosma in an animal incinerator – dubbed “The Eliminator – on Millard’s farm near Waterloo, Ont.

READ MORE: ‘This does not bring Tim back’: Bosma’s widow speaks out after guilty verdicts

“I think there are excellent grounds for appeal,” said Smich’s lawyer, Tom Dungey, adding his client will hire an appellate lawyer to handle the case.

Dungey said the inmate appeal satisfies the obligation to file a notice of appeal within 30 days and doesn’t require much detail.

“It will likely be many months before a full, professional, notice of appeal is filed with court,” he said.

READ MORE: ‘This does not bring Tim back’: Bosma’s widow speaks out after guilty verdicts

Pillay declined comment.

Smich and Millard both face first-degree murder charges in the death of Toronto woman Laura Babcock, 23, who went missing in July 2012 and whose body has never been found.

Millard is also charged with first-degree murder in the death of his father, Wayne Millard, 71, whose death in November 2012 was initially deemed a suicide.

Two men found dead in the Ponteix town dump after possible murder-suicide

Posted December 24th, 2018 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on Two men found dead in the Ponteix town dump after possible murder-suicide

RCMP have found two dead bodies at a dumpsite just east of Ponteix, Sask.

On Thursday afternoon, RCMP were called to the Ponteix town dumpsite, which is six kilometres east of the town. There, police say officers found two dead male adults.

An employee from the town of Ponteix told Global News that one of the men found dead was Ponteix town employee Mike Kucik, who was also a well-known boxing coach in the area.

ChangSha Night Net

“Learning that they just died tragically… we are shocked,” Notre Dame d’Auvergne priest Guy Amédée Ainemon said.

“The family is very devastated.”

Aniemon said Kucik, along with his family, was heavily involved in the parish and a member of the welcoming committee at Notre Dame d’Auvergne.

“Ponteix is a small community. Everybody is close to everybody so Mike knows a lot of people. He knew a lot of people in Ponteix, he had a lot of friends,” Ainemon said.

RCMP, with the help of RCMP Major Crimes Unit South, Shaunavon RCMP, Yokrton General Investigation Section and Swift Current Forensic Identification Section are investigating how the two men ended up in the town’s dumpsite.

The second man has not been identified.

Autopsies are scheduled for Wednesday July 13 and investigations are currently in the preliminary stages.

This incident marks the second and third body found in two days in the region.

READ MORE: Police investigating sudden death at Swift Current residence

Gunman opens fire on Georgia police officer hours after Dallas attack

Posted December 24th, 2018 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on Gunman opens fire on Georgia police officer hours after Dallas attack

ATLANTA – A gunman in a passing vehicle who opened fire on a police officer on patrol in Georgia will likely be charged with aggravated assault on the officer, authorities said Friday. A suspect was apprehended after a short car chase and is in custody.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Micah Xavier Johnson: What we know about the suspected Dallas police shooter

  • Suspect in Dallas police shooting that killed 5 cops ‘wanted to kill white people’

  • Dallas police shooting: Social media erupts with heartbreak, outrage

    The shooting happened in Roswell, a city just north of Atlanta, early Friday, just hours after a sniper attack killed five police officers in Dallas, and officers were already on edge, Roswell Det. Zachary Frommer said.

    READ MORE: Chaotic scene on Dallas streets during sniping of police officers

    The 21-year-old suspect in the Georgia shooting was being questioned by detectives Friday. Police do not know the motive. Asked whether the shooting might be related to the Texas attacks, Frommer said, “Nothing right now says that it is or isn’t.”

    “I know detectives have been talking to him, but I don’t know how much he’s talking,” Frommer said.

    Though he’s been speaking with investigators, “his co-operation has been limited,” police said in a midmorning update on the case.

    The suspect fired multiple shots, but none hit Officer Brian McKenzie or his patrol car, Frommer said. McKenzie is white, police said. The suspect’s race was not immediately clear.

    FULL COVERAGE —; DALLAS POLICE SHOOTING

    Amateur videos capture chaos during Dallas shooting

    01:50

    Amateur videos capture chaos during Dallas shooting

    00:28

    ‘It’s a sniper?’: Shocked Dallas witness captures video of police shootout with gunman

    00:36

    Gunfire heard in video as gunman has standoff with Dallas police

    00:52

    Amateur video appears to show Dallas gunman firing at police

    01:00

    Shootout between Dallas police and suspects caught on camera

    00:53

    Cellphone video shows alleged Dallas shooting suspect

    00:49

    ‘The sniper started shooting and all the cops were getting shot’: Dallas shooting witness



    McKenzie is a member of the agency’s drunken driving task force and was on a routine patrol when he came under attack, police said. The officer didn’t immediately know whether the shots were fireworks or gunshots but quickly realized that “gunshots were coming his way,” Frommer said.

    The officer then chased the blue Ford Explorer with a Georgia license plate, which travelled through a shopping centre at one point before striking a curb and median and damaging one of its tires, Frommer said. The suspect was then taken into custody.

    McKenzie “jumped right into action and did a great job chasing this guy down and catching him,” Frommer said.

    Investigators later determined the Explorer had been stolen, police said.

    Charges will likely include aggravated assault on a police officer, methamphetamine possession, reckless driving and fleeing and eluding, along with charges relating to the stolen Explorer.

    Roswell, a city of about 95,000 people, is about 20 miles north of Atlanta.

US man charged after photographing Washington, DC targets for ISIS

Posted December 24th, 2018 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on US man charged after photographing Washington, DC targets for ISIS

ALEXANDRIA, Va. – A Virginia man has been charged with attempting to assist the Islamic State by photographing targets in the Washington, D.C., area for what he thought would be a video encouraging lone-wolf terrorist attacks in the nation’s capital.

ChangSha Night Net

Haris Qamar, 25, of Burke was arrested Friday morning, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia. He is the second person this week from the northern Virginia suburbs to be charged at the federal courthouse in Alexandria with attempting to support the Islamic State.

READ MORE: 150 Canadians, mostly women, named on ISIS ‘kill list,’ feds investigating

Court records do not yet list an attorney for Qamar, who was expected to make an initial appearance in front of a federal magistrate Friday afternoon.

Qamar came to authorities’ attention through 桑拿会所 posts about supporting terrorist attacks that appeared under variations of the handle “newerajihadi,” the court documents show.

According to an affidavit, the FBI set up a sting operation in which Qamar worked with an informant last month to film landmarks, including the Pentagon, that could be targeted for attacks. The informant recorded Qamar saying “bye-bye DC” as he filmed the Pentagon. He went on to say that he hates the United States and gets a “burning sensation in my body because this place is so disgusting.”

Qamar told the informant that filming and photographing targets that the Islamic State could use in a video to urge lone-wolf attacks made him a true supporter of the group and more than just a “fanboy,” according to the affidavit.

WATCH: Growing number of ISIS-linked attacks has international community nervous 

A woman who identified herself on the phone as his mother said she hadn’t heard anything about an arrest. When a reporter informed her about the nature of the charges, she said “None of this true” and hung up.

Qamar is a U.S. citizen born in Brooklyn, according to the affidavit.

According to the affidavit, Qamar tried to join the Islamic State in 2014 but was thwarted because his father had possession of Qamar’s passport and threatened to turn his son in to authorities if he persisted. Travel records show that Qamar had gone as far as buying a ticket to Istanbul in that time frame, according to the affidavit.

Qamar’s arrest comes three days after prosecutors announced charges against another northern Virginia man – Mohamed Jalloh, 26, of Sterling – alleging that he attempted to support the Islamic State. Authorities say Jalloh, a former Army National Guard soldier, contemplated a Fort Hood-style attack against U.S. service members after meeting an Islamic State member in Africa.

READ MORE: ISIS working to send operatives to the West for further attacks,  says U.S. spy chief

Earlier this year, an Alexandria man, Mohamad Khweis, was charged with supporting the Islamic State after travelling to Iraq and Syria to join the group, then surrendering himself to Kurdish forces after a couple of months , saying he became disenchanted with the IS.

Qamar, according to the affidavit, told the informant that Khweis was an idiot for leaving the Islamic State, and he wished he could have traded places with him.