No more delays in approving any pipelines: Notley

Posted April 24th, 2019 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on No more delays in approving any pipelines: Notley

CALGARY – Premier Rachel Notley says there can’t be any unnecessary federal delays when it comes approving a new pipeline — any pipeline — to transport Alberta’s oil to international markets.

ChangSha Night Net

The future of the Northern Gateway pipeline proposal is now in the hands of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government after the Federal Court of Appeal on June 30 quashed a permit issued for the project.

READ MORE: Alberta Premier Rachel Notley rethinking stance on Northern Gateway pipeline

“We’re just going to continue to work hard to make the case for why all of Canada needs this pipeline or a pipeline to get to tidewater and then a decision has to be made,” Notley said Friday.

“We just can’t dither on this for a lot longer.”

READ MORE: ‘Project means so much to Alberta and Canada’: Alberta association pushing for Energy East Pipeline

The previous Conservative cabinet approved the $7.9 billion project in 2014. The appeal court said the Tories failed to meaningfully consult with affected First Nations.

Meanwhile, Kinder Morgan’s bid to triple the capacity of its existing Trans Mountain pipeline between Edmonton and Burnaby, B.C., is before the federal government after the National Energy Board sanctioned the $6.8-billion project in May.

RELATED: Timeline: Key dates in history of the Trans Mountain pipeline

“Frankly, if I was in the federal government, I would not shut down any of my options until I knew I had one option that’s successful. But that’s me,” she said.

“I think that Kinder Morgan tends to be the most obvious choice, but even that is not without its challenges.”

Enbridge Inc.’s (TSX:ENB) Northern Gateway pipeline would ship bitumen from Alberta to Kitimat, B.C., and bitumen-thinning diluent in the opposite direction.

Eight First Nations, four environmental groups and a labour union launched legal challenges against the approval, which were consolidated and heard by the appeal court in October.

Notley said she understands the need for First Nations to have a say in the Northern Gateway process.

She said Alberta is examining the court decision and will ask the federal government to take whatever action is necessary to meet those standards.

“But in a respectful way that engages meaningfully with affected stakeholders and in particular First Nations people because they have a strong set of rights under our laws.”

Notley said she hopes to meet with Trudeau when he visits the Calgary Stampede next week.

How one woman survived a two-year shopping ban

Posted April 24th, 2019 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on How one woman survived a two-year shopping ban

Could you not shop for two years?

Cait Flanders, 31, has not bought anything other than essential, consumable goods since she vowed to stop spending in July of 2014.

READ MORE: How to survive a financial emergency

“I never identified as a shopaholic,” said Flanders, a full-time freelance writer in Victoria, B.C.

ChangSha Night Net

“But I would say I was a mindless spender —; you know, you go to the store for two things and come out with five, or you see something on sale and talk yourself into thinking you need it, even though yesterday you didn’t need it.”

Flanders had already achieved a majorly impressive feat —; she paid off $30,000 of debt in two years, documented in her blog —;  when she realized she wasn’t making very smart money decisions.

“I had all this money again freed up in my budget, but instead of putting money into savings…I wen’t back to spending a lot of it,” said Flanders.

“It just didn’t make any sense.”

She said one day it was like a “switch” flipped in her head: instead of the common practice of saving 10 or 20 per cent of every paycheque and spending all the rest, people should be living on as little as possible.

WATCH: Money Smarts: Tips for paying down debt 

“We probably all overspend on lots of things without really realizing it.”

“As soon as I started thinking about that, I…realized I could walk around my home and see where my money had been going.”

READ MORE: Tips for paying off your debt and saving for the future

That’s when she decided to make a change.

“I decided to not shop —; it was just a year at first —; I decided to not shop for a year, and also went through my belongings and decided to get rid of things I didn’t use.”

She started on July 7, 2014 and gave herself strict rules. Consumables such as fuel for her vehicle and food got the green light. Clothes, books, electronics were on the banned list. If something had to be replaced, like when her one pair of jeans got an irreparable (she tried to fix it) hole, then she could replace them.

“One in, one out,” Flanders said. “It’s something you use often.”

READ MORE: 4 dos and don’ts of buying your first home

She says not buying books was her biggest challenge. In the past she would go online to order one book, and end up with three to get free shipping. That came to an end. She also cut out takeout coffee.

“Even though it’s a consumable per se, I wasn’t comfortable with how much I was spending on it.”

There was the odd new item purchase over the years. She needed a dress to attend multiple weddings one summer, new winter boots and a long-overdue new bed.

WATCH: How to save money on your next vacation 

After successfully completing one year, she decided to do it again.

“It’s probably just a lifestyle now, it has gotten really easy.”

On July 6, she officially completed her two-year shopping ban —; but she has no plans for a wild spending spree. For Flanders, living with less has become a way of life.

She has some trips planned, so the extent of her shopping will be stocking up on some supplies.

“I will be shopping this summer, but it will be camping related, camping gear.”

READ MORE: Millennials shaking up traditional order of love, marriage then kids

So is there at least one frivolous thing she’s dying to buy?

“Um, no. I don’t think so,” she said with a laugh. “I know that’s a terrible answer. I’m trying to think.”

One thing she is sure of, she’s not going to slide back into her old ways.

“Never,” Flanders said firmly.

She says you don’t have to go to her extremes to make a difference in your finances, but you do need to make sure you’re not setting yourself up for failure.

“Try to find the right balance so that you are enjoying life and don’t feel completely deprived,” said Flanders.

“If you feel totally deprived you’re not probably changing your spending habits, you’re just kind of pushing pause on a bigger issue and not changing yourself or setting yourself up for the long term.”

Here are some tips from Flanders for “baby steps” to reduce your spending:

Give up one thing for 30 days. Spending can become a habit, banning it for just 30 days can help break that habit.Keep a list of things you want to buy on impulse. Wait a few weeks and see if you still want it before you make the purchase.Be mindful of quality. Buying one good shirt instead of four cheap ones will reduce waste and help you live with less.

Saint John in holding pattern over L.N.G. tax deal

Posted April 24th, 2019 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on Saint John in holding pattern over L.N.G. tax deal

The city of Saint John will have to wait a few more months before its controversial tax deal with Irving Oil over the Liquified Natural Gas facility can be repealed.

That deal will see Irving pay the city $500,000 per year in property tax —;  a number that’s believed to be far below its assessed value.

ChangSha Night Net

READ MORE: City of Saint John wants more time to review possible repeal of LNG tax deal

The province has been asked by the city to repeal the agreement, struck in 2005, so it can access potentially millions of dollars more in yearly tax revenues.

It was hoped that would happen during the spring sitting of the legislature, however that didn’t happen.

The city received a letter late Thursday regarding the situation.

“There are some implications for other communities in which we want to ensure that we take some time to consult,” Premier Brian Gallant wrote in the letter. “So we’ve said to the City of Saint John ‘we can continue with the proposal that they’ve given but we we do have to consult.’”

That proposal involves extra property tax revenue received by the city for the L.N.G. property going into a trust fund until any appeal process has concluded. It could then be distributed among the municipalities through the unconditional grant formula which provides core funding to communities.

READ MORE: ‘Nasty in there’: all sides at odds as N.B. legislature adjourns for summer

Saint John Mayor Don Darling hasn’t commented on the specifics of the letter. In a statement Mayor Darling says he is “pleased with the language in the letter, and the province’s commitment to have a plan in place for the 2017 tax season”.

Councillor Gerry Lowe says the issue is important to all councillors.

“Because it’s a tax thing and that’s one of our main problems here in the city,” Lowe said.

“We’re not getting enough taxes in to look after the the residents of the city.”

Fredericton Councillor Eric Megarity heads the Cities of New Brunswick Association and says he hasn’t consulted his municipal colleagues yet but likes the potential for millions of extra dollars becoming available.

“If that money comes back, that’s $3.5-4 million that will be distributed among the municipalities that that need that equalization so that’s a win situation,” he said.

Saint John Common Council is expected to discuss the letter Monday night.

Dallas shooting: Police in Saskatoon, Regina lower flags to honour slain officers

Posted April 24th, 2019 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on Dallas shooting: Police in Saskatoon, Regina lower flags to honour slain officers

Flags were lowered to half-staff outside the stations of the Saskatoon Police Service and the Regina Police Service on Friday to honour the police officers killed in Dallas, Texas a day earlier.

Five Dallas police officers were killed and seven others were wounded in the gunfire that began around 8:45 p.m.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Dallas police shooting: Why it’s tough to spot a shooter in many U.S. states

  • Dallas shooting: What we know and don’t know about the ‘ambush’ on police officers

  • Gunman opens fire on Georgia police officer hours after Dallas attack

    READ MORE: Dallas shooting: What we know and don’t know about the ‘ambush’ on police officers

    The officers were shot in an “ambush-style” attack, according to Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown.

    READ MORE: Suspect in Dallas police shooting that killed 5 cops ‘wanted to kill white people’

    Saskatoon Police Chief Clive Weighill, who also serves as the president of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, issued the following statement:

    “This is a tragedy felt by every member of law enforcement, not just in the United States but north of the border as well.

    “This incident shows the dangers faced by police officers in the course of their duties.  Sadly, the same can be said in Canada. This week marked the 10th anniversary of the deaths of RCMP Constables Robin Cameron and Marc Bourdages, who were gunned down while on duty near Spiritwood, Saskatchewan.”

    READ MORE: The Spiritwood RCMP shooting: 10 years later

    “We honour their names just as we will honour the names of the victims of the shooting in Dallas, Texas.”

    Acting Chief Corey Zaharuk offered his condolences in a statement on behalf of the Regina Police Service:

    “This is a very tragic event…as is any violence that takes lives and causes injuries.  These acts change people’s lives forever. We are shocked and saddened by this event, and extend our deepest sympathy to all involved.

    “In terms of what it may mean to our police service…we don’t know enough about the events in Dallas to try and analyze from a distance and offer comment.  We will stay connected to this event as observers, and our hearts go out to our neighbours to the south.  We will seek to learn in the coming days what the local or national implications for policing might be.”

    Flags fly at half-staff outside the city police station in Regina.

    Fire halls in Saskatoon also lowered their flags to honour the victims.

    The Dallas police officers were shot during a peaceful protest over police shootings of black men in Baton Rouge, La., and St. Paul, Minn.

‘I feel that I have failed you’: mother asks for help finding Mekayla Bali

Posted April 24th, 2019 by admin and filed in 长沙夜网
Comments Off on ‘I feel that I have failed you’: mother asks for help finding Mekayla Bali

Editor’s note: This story was originally published July 8, but was updated July 20 with the information of an extended child search alert.

As Mekayla Bali’s disappearance reaches past three months, family members and RCMP are asking for the public’s help.

The Missing Children Society of Canada sent an update Wednesday, saying a child search alert for Bali has been activated in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Bali, who was 16 at the time of her disappearance, was last seen at the STC bus depot on 1st Avenue North in Yorkton, Sask. at 1:45 p.m. CT on April 12.

ChangSha Night Net

She was reported missing the same day.

READ MORE: Yorkton, Sask. teen missing for nearly two months

Mekayla’s mother, Paula, who spoke at an update in Regina, said the last time the family has heard from Mekayla when she was dropped off at school that morning.

She also said it is out of character for Mekayla not to be in contact with her family

“That feeling of not knowing if you are alright is beyond heartbreaking. It is unspeakable pain and worry, ” Paula said tearfully.

“I feel that I have failed you in my most important role in life as a mother because I can’t protect you right now.”

This week was Mekayla’s seventeenth birthday, Paula said.

“Mekayla, 17 years ago, my first whispered words to you were it’s me and you against the world,” Paula said.

“I pray for you to have peace, love and hope until that time when I will again hear your voice, feel your hugs and again touch your beautiful face.”

Insp. Jennifer Ebert, with the RCMP “F” Division South District, also spoke on Friday and said investigators have determined Bali did not board a bus on April 12.

RCMP did receive a tip yesterday that went back to Bali’s actions on April 12. Ebert said they are following up on that tip.

“The question we are asking the public is ‘where were you on April 12?’” Ebert said.

Ebert said investigators have conducted more than 100 interviews with people who know Bali or have seen or spoken to her in the days leading up to her disappearance.

“Investigators have developed a timeline of her whereabouts on the morning of April 12, 2016, with the exception of one hour between 10:45 a.m. and 11:55 a.m,” Ebert said.

Ebert also said the unknown adult man who may have been with Bali at the STC bus depot and was brought to the attention of the police via a tip, has not been located at this time.

The man, who police describe as between 40 and 50 years old, five-foot ten to six-foot two in height, with dark hair and a tattoo below his left elbow of a cross with flames around it, is not considered a suspect.

A sketch of the tattoo seen on the unknown man who may have information related to Bali’s disappearance.

RCMP

He was seen leaving the bus depot at the same time as Bali.

Bali is described as Caucasian, five-foot two, 125 pounds, with blond hair and blue eyes. She also goes by the name Mekayla Niebergall.

She is known to change her appearance. Police say her red-ish hair can be dyed blond or other colours. Bali is also known to wear her hair down, pulled back, straight or wavy.

Bali sometimes wears dark rimmed glasses and a teal/mint coloured infinity scarf.

Ebert said there is no evidence that Bali has a passport and has left Canada, but they have notified law enforcement at border crossings.

At this point in the investigation, Ebert said there is no indication of foul play.

“April the 12th is the last date we can confirm any details about Mekayla,” Ebert said.

“For Mekayla to have been missing since April 12 and to know nothing about where she’s been for the past months is very concerning to us and that’s why we are asking the public to please help us fill in the gaps.”

Anyone with information on Bali’s whereabouts is asked to contact Yorkton RCMP at 306-786-2400, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or their local police service.

With files from Brandon Gonez

Follow @AlexaHGlobal